Never The Same Day Twice

Sunday, July 09, 2006

.........................Sunday 7/9/06

BOY what a weekend! An awesome one! I didn't bring my camera with me anywhere so I don't have any pictures to document it but you know what, the memories of this weekend are IN MY HEART and that is enough!

Where to start?

T and I (I'm going to start referring to my little guy as T now, for simplicity's sake) went to my friend Doris' house. She lives an hour away in Westchester County. She and her son J are buddies. They are a month apart.

She and J were at our house for a playdate last week and then last Saturday we went to her house for a pre-4th of July BBQ, both times at which J and T hit it off royally. So when she invited us back, I said what the hell? Let's go!

So of we went, at noon on Saturday. We were supposed to BE there at noon, but you know me, I can never get my ass out the door on time anymore. We sped down the highway and made it in exactly one hour with no backtracking! This is now the SECOND time I have made it to her house without getting lost, yippee!

J was napping when we showed up but shortly thereafter we went to 'the lake'. Now, Doris talks about the lake all the time but I didn't know what to expect. We followed her truck down the road about 1/4 of a mile, turned right, and then shortly thereafter turned left again into what looked like a shortcut thru the woods. At the end of a narrow gravel path, we drove into a clearing and THERE WAS THE LAKE! Surrounded by greener than green trees, and with a sandy beach besides!

J was still groggy from his nap and wasn't ready to play yet, so T got started with helping an older boy dig out some sand to build a 'turtle' out of sand. They never did finish it but he was very engrossed with his little shovel beside the 'big boy'. Then he and J went in the water, so cute! T showed no fear! Eventually we had swimmies on his arm and Doris took him out more and he was floating on his stomach with his legs stretched out behind him... just floating around like it was the most natural thing to do! It was AMAZING!!!!

When we left, both boys didn't fuss---they seemed ready after hours in the sun and water, to play indoors for a bit. But that didn't last. J decided he wanted to jump in the pool, and T was ready too! So on go the swimmies again, and into the pool he goes. The whole family was in the pool---naturally I sat along the side like the big wuss I am!

And here is where T just amazed me. Just last weekend he was fearful and wouldn't let anyone who would hold him in the water let him go. THIS time he was telling Doris "I do myself" and he would do a little jump from the pool steps into the water, the swimmies and a floaty-ring making him buoyant. He sat in the little floating boat and also this rafty thing, leaning over to pick up rubber duckies and such.. He was having such a good time.

It was hard to finally get him to leave after. We did go back indoors and each had a hotdog... I finally had to mention the word "choopie" (pacifier) and that was enough to get him to comply with my entreaty to leave... We didn't leave til 7 as it was!!!

Today we went to church for 11 and he was very well-behaved. It looked so nice out when we left that I threw some beach paraphenalia in the car for after---and that's where we headed. We were there from 12:30 to 4:00!!! The tide was slowly going out and T was in his glory---he built volcanoes and towers, then we ran along the shore jumping the waves, then he made tracks in the sand left wet from the tide, and then he said he wanted to play with these two boys that were digging a big hole.. He wanted to so badly, you could tell, so I walked over there with him and as I did with the 'big boy' digging the turtle Saturday, I 'introduced' him to the bigger boys (probably about 5 and 11) and asked them if Tim could 'help'. I'm always amazed when the kids say Yes! So down he went to 'help' and he did that til those boys had to leave..

All in all, I know we had full happy days out in the sunshine and fresh air. It was wonderful!

On the way home today we got ice cream cones, then I ran in to order pizza to be delivered... we sped home and I ran a bath for T. He was in the tub when the pizza arrived. I dressed him and then I jumped in the shower---after which the pizza was the perfect temp. We ate it at the dining room table together and then we watched Madagascar in my room.. after which, at 7, I lay down with him in his room to say our prayers, and he fell asleep.

A glorious exhausted sleep I'd gather!

And now I have to go get ready for work tomorrow. Good night!

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home